Friday 2 May 2008

This would not happen in Finland





I know us foreigners tend to have an idolised image of our countries when we're living abroad. But this isn't just some random rant about them taking too long to deliver the mail. I have now had a leaking ceiling for 5 days. I have called my landlord about 6 times about it, sent them an official complaint by mail and also contacted the contractor meant to come and fix it about 4 times as well. Still, nothing. Nothing has been done. Nobody has come to see it. When I speak to Grant Management about it, they assume somebody will come and put a new rooftile in and assume that is it. But the plaster's peeling off from the leaking point, the damp is spreading through the wall, it's pretty serious.


In Finland, I would not be allowed to live in this place. Here they expect me to pay full rent for it.


I'm sleeping on our livingroom sofa and today intend to move all my stuff down here as well. I've lost all hope in Grant Management being reasonable about it so I now called the Environmental Health Department and hopefully somebody will come and see the place soon so that they will force Grant Management to act on it.

But thanks to this episode, I intend to leave this country as soon as possible. Meaning, I won't stay here to do my Masters. I'd rather live anywhere else than here. It's not just Newcastle, it's the people's mentality when I phone them. On the outside they're being really polite and nice but then nothing gets done. When I get angry for nothing done, they treat me as if I'm being unreasonable! I'm sick of this. I just want to go home

No comments:

Post a Comment