Tuesday 6 May 2008

A year off

Today the health inspector was meant to come in. I waited for 40 minutes, then rang their office to ask is somebody coming and they reply that they don't know because it's not on their records but they'll give me a ring. Then a guy calls about it, saying he had a "meeting" that went on longer than expected so he won't make it. And it only occured to let me know when I start calling about it? Clearly the guy just completely forgot about the whole thing! So he's coming again tomorrow. Now the Post Office added to the fun by messing up the recorded delivery that had the letter to Grant Management. The tracking online just keeps saying system error or something genius like that. I'm jinxed, nothing has gone right with companies in Britain this year, nothing.

All this shit that has been going on since January to be honest has made me an extremely unpleasant person and I apologise for that. I know I've been cranky at times and I've tried to control it but still, it hasn't been nice around me recently.

So I'm taking some time off. I'm planning to go to Finland on Friday if I manage to get rid off my shifts at work and relax there for a while. Obviously I'm coming back to Newcastle for my exam and therefore also for the Eurovision party, and for a week in June and then in the beginning of July. But other than that, won't be coming back to Newcastle ever again.

I got an offer for study for the MA at Exeter today but I'm not going there anymore. I think I might actually take the whole year off. Work at some job in Lohja to make some money and then just travel. I didn't apply for the right places this year so maybe it's a good thing I get a chance to reconsider where I want to go. The only place in Britain where I could consider going is Cambridge so I might apply there for a PhD next year. Or maybe the US? Perhaps I should also finally get a grip and learn French so I could go to College of Europe. The benefits of taking a year off just seem to add up.

So, anybody interested in touring the Middle-East or South-America with me? Or willing to offer me a place to stay and a job in France?

UPDATE: The flights are booked and I'm off to Finland on 9/5-21/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment