Monday 4 January 2010

Food

Back in Cardiff the food supply is low. All I have in my fridge is lactose-free milk. In my cupboard I have remnants of ingredients, none of which constitute a meal.

So we have been eating out a lot. Yet I find it funny how I always go for similar dishes. I would love to try something new but I just know my palette perhaps too well and stick to the familiar dishes. I love pesto, I love cheese, I love beef.

Every time when I'm hungry, I start watching cooking shows. In the past three days I have watched the entire sixth season of Top Chef. This has, as it always does, inspired me to cook so I browse online for all these new recipes.

But there is a problem. I'm not a good cook. I can cook, for sure. But I'm not experienced. I'm scared of cooking meat. And particularly here in Cardiff I don't want to be too experimental as I'm also cooking for other people.

So instead of cooking new exciting things the same thing happens as it does in restaurants, I just stick to the same old stuff.

The favourite thing I ever cooked was for an article, I made Welsh and New Zealand lamb dishes. It was miles off my comfort zone yet I cooked all day and actually enjoyed it. I think other people did as well.

This leads me to conclude that somebody should just tell me what to cook, give me a theme or something and then I would cook it. So I'm going to make this my challenge for this month. Every week I cook one dish according to a theme that other people tell me to took.

I'm not turning this into a cooking blog (heaven forbid!) but just challenging myself and blogging about it. So, fire away, what should I cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment