Saturday 26 December 2009

Lohja's nightlife

Now I'm not a big fan of going out in Lohja. The Finnish anti-social mentality is very obvious in bars. You only approach people you know. In Lohja that is practically everyone; so most people actually have a blast meeting their old friends. This is why everyone goes out on Christmas Day. But I don't know anyone outside my circle of friends. I did my high school in Helsinki and then went to uni to another country. So I didn't really had the chance to stay in touch with a lot of people.

Aside from this, going out in Lohja is a bit of a sham because the places here are complete dives. You pay sometimes up to 8 euros to enter what elsewhere in the world would be where the drunks and homeless people hang out.

But yesterday, I had a blast. I expected nothing, knowing from experience it would most likely suck. We had some friends over at our place and then continued to a new club that just opened in Lohja, Prime. We even had one of our friends, Laura (the one who's just turned 18 and loves to drive) being the designated driver because it was snowing and freezing cold outside.

We queued to get in to Prime, met some funny people already in the queue. Nothing like bonding over bashing the bouncer.

And then inside it was fantastic. It was a real club. Far from being the swankiest I've ever seen but for Lohja's standards it was amazing. It was really new so didn't smell of vomit either, always a plus.

They played regular club music and had a decent enough dance floor. And I even met Annukka who I met in Newcastle in 2005, the only Lohja person I've met on my time abroad.

So I just really hope people keep going to Prime because I want the only decent place in town to remain open until the next time I'm in Finland.

No comments:

Post a Comment