Saturday 9 January 2010

Failure avoided, success?

I managed to cook everything. I even liked some of them, boys claim they loved all of them. So I am happy with my attempt at international cooking.

On Thursday we had the Nepalese dumplings and Micronesian chicken. The dumplings were my absolute favourite though they took a while to make, Damien's ricecooker also doubled as a steamer but could only fit in three or four dumplings at a time.

Being a complete novice with beers I chose Brains beer to marinade the chicken in (as the recipe only said beer). I thought an ale would be best because we don't need the fizzyness and thought I'd support local beer. I didn't think how well it would go with lemon.

I mean Ole, Chris, Mark and Damien liked it but I thought it was horrible. So either they were being nice (which would be a first) or they just have a different taste palette.


What I did like but thought I wouldn't, was the Macedonian (or FYROM as Chris and I argued over the name - still not convinced it's worthwhile to fight over a name) soup. I had my doubts over boiling the eggs and the soup mainly consisting of water, flour and paprika. But it was delicious. More so than the picture leads on at least.


The Irish dish, beef in Guinness was something your grandparents would make. Real sturdy, that's the only way I can describe it. Again, not really my favourite but I think once again cooking it in beer just wasn't my thing.

Next week will be rather African. I have Tunisia, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Maldives. I'll be making desserts this time. Fingers crossed everyone!

Aside from cooking my life currently consists of articles and thinking about revision. Actual revision will start on Monday. So cooking is the only legitimate form of procrastination I can justify.

No comments:

Post a Comment