Thursday 4 September 2008

Spiderwebs

I've been quite boring company lately. All I've managed to talk about for the past week is the amount of spiderwebs in our house and the damned washing machine. I was a bit of an idiot and tried to open the washing machine before the minute that I was suppose to wait was over. So I managed to break the whole handle. The plastic handle split in half. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem but it only opens manually, and despite my desperate attempts to somehow wiggle it open with a screwdriver I can't get it open. So my laundry is still there. The embarassing part of it is that it has my flatmates towels in there. I had to wash them because while I was cleaning the bathroom I spilled some of the washing liquids on them and I thought I'd be a good girl and wash them. Big mistake.

Then on to my second pet peeve, spiders and their webs. They are everywhere in the house, I had to vacuum every wall, ceiling and corner to get rid off them. I've done my best but I'm sure the little devils will come back to haunt me. I can only hope they're not clever enough to stage a joint attack on me.

But otherwise things are fine here in maasland. After my fourth visit to the front desk I got a letter that proves I'm a student here so that I can finally apply for student grants and loans in Finland. Now that the house is clean I can actually start living there and possible leave the house on occasions.

As to studying, I've done very little so far. I attend the lectures though yesterday we had a refresher lecture on European integration and an hour of the lecture was spent informing us that theories are useful and that we need to use them. This made me question what kind of people do they accept here if we have all completed our bachelor degrees and written a dissertation without ever hearing or, heaven forbid, using theories...

Uuu, one more thing. At yesterday's skills session (don't ask what it is, I don't know) a girl recognised I was Finnish just by appearance and way of speaking. She was Latvian and had studied in Tallinn so she had had experience with Finns before. So I guess I do look Finnish. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment