Wednesday 25 March 2009

Springtime



It is finally here. Spring! Very suitable that my friend Suvi (whose name means summer in Finnish) came to visit me. She is an amazingly funny person who was just the right one to cheer me up and at the moment I feel almost exuberantly happy.

So much so that I find the stories about my flatmate funny when otherwise they might be considered tragic. For example, I cleaned the entire house prior to Suvi's arrival. This mean that not only did I hoover and wipe the dust, I also washed all the dishes that my flatmate had left lying around, essentially the amount of unwashed dishes that tend to pile up when you don't do your dishes for two months. I had in fact tried to constrain myself and not even do my own, just leave the shit lying around like he does and see whether he'd notice the difference. Of course he didn't. In fact, here's the conversation that took place when he got back home that day:
Mia: "So, I cleaned the entire house today..."
Flatmate: "Yea, I noticed."
... silence ...
Mia: "Uhmm, so from now on, could you please do your dishes like once a week or something?"
Flatmate: "Sure."
I don't know whether I'm oversensitive here but I think at some point I would have inserted a "I'm sorry for being such a slob" or at least a "thank you" but nothing.

After this incident I thought it could not get much worse. But alas how one is mistaken. I was sitting in the livingroom, doing work for uni when I hear a familiar sound. Drip. Drip. Drip. Flashback to last spring? Very much so! It was indeed raining in my house again. Flatmate, in his infinate wisdom, had left the house for a few days and left his window open. Strong winds and heavy rainfall arrives to Maastrich, making the water come down to his room. His room is upstairs, above the livingroom and after some time, the water accumulated enough to make the water come down through the floor into the livingroom where I was working. So I immediately go to his room (which by the way has no furniture except for a broken bedframe, it's just piles of clothes lying around with a mattress on the floor without any duvet or bed covers, quite nasty), find the window side of the room completely soaked (his clothes included) and close the window. So I text my flatmate to inform him of the situation. His response? The following text:
"Sorry about that haven't been home since yesterday morning" Wow. Once again no real regret, actually making it out to be a normal thing to leave the house with your window open for days and no sign of thank you in sight.

So I'm happy that I'm happy enough not to worry about this too much. Maybe I'm on drugs without noticing it... Because lately I've also enjoyed working for the group paper we're doing, I'm researching on UK's transposition of the biofuels directive, and the other day we had a lot of fun at a tutorial with me joking around all the time. I must be high on something!

No comments:

Post a Comment