Monday 16 March 2009

Facebook

Has anyone else noticed the amount of journalists/politicians/other important people writing something about facebook on their blog? Maybe it's just a Finnish thing but it sure happens a lot, I can't enter a site without there being some mention of facebook there.

Now I'm not the one to criticise talking about facebook, it's just the tone of some of the blog entries annoy the hell out of me. Like all these journalists vent about how useless facebook is, how addictive it is, how fake the whole "friends on facebook" concept is etc. Bloody hell, if you don't like then don't use it! I'm not about to worship anyone for taking two weeks off from facebook!

I use it a lot. I know a lot about people thanks to facebook and I am aware that people might know a lot about me if they put a lot effort into it. I've got a link to this blog from my fb-profile for god's sake. I know there are a lot of less than flattering of pictures of me out there but if it comes as a surprise to any future employer that I go out and consume alcohol then by all means don't hire me from your moral highground. All these people going around and preaching about user content possibly being used by fb for marketing purposes or about how privacy settings are complicated just really make me want to punch them in the face. Is everyone here new to internet???

Until I become a spy or intend on committing a treason I don't care who deals with my data. If the Americans or the Chinese get a kick out of reading my skype conversations or looking through the pictures I have on facebook then go ahead. I still feel like a private person even if Albert Heijn (a grocery store in the Netherlands) uses my customer card to check through what I buy and use it for targeted advertising. I'm not bothered about big brother scenarios because essentially I feel that the amount of information out there is too much for anyone to process. Kill them with kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment