Sunday 15 March 2009

Gossip



There are about 100 people studying for a masters European Studies here in Maastricht. Majority of us have not studied here before so we only know each other so it follows that we're a close community. We know each other well and interact outside lectures on a regular basis. I really like this, especially as we got such a cool mix of people most of which I think are actually amazing people. I keep referring to people in my posts and saying how cool friends I have and the fact is I've never made so many friends as I have here.

But from having such a community it follows that news travel fast. Essentially we gossip a lot. More so than I have ever before. But I refuse to see it as a negative thing, it is perfectly natural. I don't spread rumours nor make up stuff, I would also never circulate something that I know to be untrue or that would hurt anyone. We've joked about creating a gossip girl style blog but we won't (so if somebody does, it is not me nor my friends!). But I also know that me and my friends are not the only ones transferring information, we're just open about it unlike some others.

Also, it is not like anything particularly scandalous has happened. Like at our Brussels trip it was probably me and my friends who stirred up the most conversation - and on my part the worst was probably on the way to the hotel from the bar I was singing something loudly and then screaming that I'm German (so as not to incriminate my own nation).

But it is actually quite thrilling to know who hooked up with who (I can think of about five such events that I know of), who likes whom etc. Just be aware that even though you think nobody knows, somebody probably does. Internet and social networks make secrets practically an impossibility. Talking to your friends about something is natural but the friend will likely be friends with someone else so the story keeps on circulating.

So this is me being open about what I do so no more bitching about me gossiping.

No comments:

Post a Comment