Monday 16 November 2009

Why blog about personal stuff?

Today one of my lecturers commented on my UK-EU blog. I realised there and then how public all of my blogs are. This blog may not bear my name but people will still link to my other blogs and therefore easily find out my identity. So why should I write about personal stuff and reveal all that to people?

Unlike some may suggest, it is not fulfilling a narcissistic desire to expose myself and "become famous".

I have lived in five different countries over the past five years. I have made lots of new friends in that time from different countries with whom it is at times impossible to keep constantly in touch with. So I hope if they genuinely want to know how I'm doing they'd read my blogs. And whilst they are almost all on facebook, facebook is very limited in the communication it provides. I could obviously write notes there and just have people who see it on their newsfeed look at it but I think blog better suits my purposes.

When I started this blog I did kind of mean to make it public so that all those people who stumble across this and might want to go and study abroad could read about my experiences. But also it is there so that all of my friends could see how I'm doing by reading this. Reading this blog is voluntary, I don't want to impose my status updates or notes to everyone who I've befriended on facebook.

If you are indeed reading this, could you leave a note saying why you read it? So far the only person who I know to read this is my sister.

I do intend to keep it personal but at the same time, I won't usually name people and certainly not in a negative context because this is public. I don't want to be that kind of a person and also from a legal perspective that might be considered slander.

I am considering about making this private but at the same time I feel puzzled as to why I should hide who I am as a person. Though potentail employers might find this blog, surely everyone can see that I write this to keep my friends updated which would not reflect me as an employee.

Also I sure hope it doesn't paint an unfair picture of me as a person, right?

5 comments:

  1. I do read this :) Why? I have a blog myself. Some of my friends too. Helps keeping tabs on one another :)

    Greets from Maas city :)
    Ania

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, here's wiebke. i'm reading your blog or at least checking it about once a week to see what's new with you! cause you're right: it def. helps ppl to follow your life, see what's happening, what you're up to. and i agree: it's hard to keep in touch via skype, facebook messages, emails...
    so, please keep writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog :) I think I fall in the

    "When I started this blog I did kind of mean to make it public so that all those people who stumble across this and might want to go and study abroad could read about my experiences." category, but I'm also becoming more interested in EU so I'm looking through your other blog as well.

    I have very similar reasons to writing my own blog and I don't think there is anything wrong about keeping it public, as long as you don't go down the route of, you know, writing about very very personal stuff like your sex life or whatever :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heips!

    Tänään ensimmäistä kertaa tutustuin suin blogiin ja jätän heti puumerkin, kun satuit pyytämään :) Luin, koska kiinnostaa tietää, missä menet ja mitä puuhaat. Valitettavasti mun englanti on niin heikolla tasolla, että tuskin saat musta vakilukijaa :D

    Terkuin Maarit from Vihti

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, as your sister I do read your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete