Friday 30 October 2009

Truth is in the dreams

I value sleep a lot. I prefer to sleep 10 hours a night. Normally this has not been a problem. Being a politics student meant that I could study whenever I wanted and rarely had any morning classes.

In Cardiff however this is hardly the case. We are now kicking into proper working mode and there are so many deadlines and stories we need to be working on in parallel that it is just constant work essentially. I'm in front of this computer (or my computer at the maglab) for most of the time I'm awake.

But not only that. When I'm walking down the street I tend to carry a camera so if I see a nice spot I will pause to take a picture in case it would fit into a story later on. Also should I run into a possible story I have the possibility of recording it somehow.

When I'm out with friends I tend to think what stories I could write about stuff they say. I quite often keep a notepad with me if someone says something funny and take it down.

So how this relates to my sleep is firstly that I don't have much time to sleep. But when I do get into my bed, exhausted, my mind doesn't stop. Perhaps it is still the novelty of all this, but I keep going through stuff that I need to do, what could I write about and those kinds of things.

I have gone to bed, rolled around for a few hours only to get up in the early hours of the morning to write a new blog entry or write down what I just thought for an article.

When I finally do fall asleep it's all about the stuff I do during the day. Twitter, interviews and story ideas are now regulars in my dreams. I need to find a switch to turn it off sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment